Sankhya Dance Company, in its form and content, is fired by the quest to find the modernity within classical. Its forte is Bharatanatyam through which it investigates, involves and interrogates various themes and concepts for dance. Founded by Vaibhav Arekar in 2009 Sankhya came as a natural extension of his artistic vision to have a company of dancers who engage and invest purely in dance performance. Today with the added dynamics and vision of its Co-director Sushant Jadhav, Sankhya is recognized as a premier Dance Company based in Mumbai. Needless to say Sankhya's artistes practice dance as a way of life. Sankhya has danced nationally and internationally on prestigious dance venues.
- Smt. Saroja Srinath is responsible for Vaibhav’s initiation into the world of dance and the basic grounding in Bharata Natyam.
- Systematic academic exposure to dance was provided at Nalanda Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya, the premier dance institution affiliated to the University of Mumbai, where Vaibhav attained his Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Fine Arts degrees in Bharata Natyam.
- Smt. Thangamani Nagarajan imparted rigorous training in nritta.
- Vaibhav has the proud privilege of receiving advanced tutelage in Abhinaya and Choreography under the guidance of the renowned danseuse and his mentor, Padmashree Dr. Smt. Kanak Rele.
- Shri Nageshwar Rao Scholarship for standing first in faculty of fine arts for B.F.A.degree.
- Recipient of the Government of India scholarship for Young dancers 1990-92.
- Gold medalist at the Inter-University Cultural Competition at Roorkee.
- Awarded the title of “Singar Mani” by Sur Singar Samsad of Mumbai.
- Graded artist of Mumbai Doordarshan and empanelled with ICCR.
- Awarded a fellowship by University’s Grant Commission for dance research.
- Received the P. Obul Reddy Endowment Award from ‘Natyarangam-Dance wing of Narada Gana Sabha’ as a senior dancer.
- Was a full time lecturer of Nalanda Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya for 15 years.
- Has formulated the dance syllabus for the Diploma and Degree course in classical dance for the SNDT Women’s University.
- Has conducted classical dance workshops of prestigious academies
- Regularly invited to give lecture-demonstration by various organisations.
- At Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, Gold Medalist in the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Mumbai.
- At Master of Fine Arts degree once again 1st position was secured by Vaibhav.
- Has done extensive study of theatre under Shri Chetan Datar.
- Has founded his own Dance Company – Sankhya Dance Company.
- Was the Co-director of Lasya, a leading dance institution of Mumbai with a professional performing wing and an academic centre affiliated to SNDT Women’s University.
- Has functioned, for one year, as an In-charge Principal of Nalanda Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya.
- Had conceptualized and been the Festival Director for the Annual Dance Festival- SINDHU, which focuses on serious works of art that come from different genre’s of classical dance.
Has give recitals as soloist at various prestigious Dance Festivals and organizations of national repute. Some of them are:-
- Khajuraho Festival.
- Modhera Festival,
- Music Academy Festival, Chennai
- Krishnagana Sabha’s Yagnaraman Fest, Chennai
- Narada Gana Sabha’s Natyarangam Festival, Chennai
- Sangeet Natak Akademi - Nritya Sangam
- Sangeet Natak Theatre Mahotsava (dance-theatre)
- Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Festival, Bhubaneshwar
- Modhera Festival.
- Prithvi Festival
- Bharat Rangotasav, NSD
- National Centre for Performing Arts, Mumbai.
- Mhalsa Festival, Goa.
- Ram Marathe Sangeet Mahotsav
- Gopi Krishna Mahotsav
- Sangam Festival, Bubhaneshwar
- Mumbai Festival
- Nehru Centre Festival
- Purush Festival
- Natyanjali Festival, Cidambaram.
- Natarajotsava, Mysore.
Vaibhav has performed with the Nalanda troupe all across India as a leading soloist. He has also has essayed lead roles in Dance-drama’s choreographed by Dr. Kanak Rele viz. Dashavatar, Santavani, Shilapadikaram, Swapna Vasavadatta(Play), Kalyani, Kanchan Mriga & others.
Sushant, over the last seven years, is deeply associated with Sankhya Dance Company and functioning as its Co-director. He is deeply involved in all its creative endeavours as well as its administrative functioning. He is the Director of Sankhya’s annual dance Festival called SINDHU-celebrating dance.
Sushant received initial guidance in Kathak from Gurumaa late Sushri Madhurita Sarang. He has been fortunate to receive training in the Uday Shankar style of dance under the legendary dancer-choreographer Sachin Shankar under the Ballet Unit, Mumbai.
He has Kathak training under renowned dancer-choreographer-academician Guru Smt. Rajashree Shirke. And later under renowned Kathak choreographer Guru Smt. Kumudini Lakhia at her dance institute ‘Kadamb’ in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Sushant has personally assisted one of the lead choreographers from the Marathi Film Industry Shri Narendra Pandit. He has undergone training for two years at Shaimak Davar Institute of Performing Arts, been as assistant to noted choreographer Smt. Indumati Lele, and has been trained in acting under highly reputed director –actress- producer Nadira Babbar.
Sushant has been choreographing for past 15 years a wide range of folk and creative dances for various Festivals and occasions. Sushant’s choreography has traversed between diverse regions and its forms, not losing its originality, with an artistic ease
and creativity. His venture “Namo Gurjari Namostute”- has been applauded for bringing alive the entire art and culture of Gujarat on a stage in India and USA (2012).
For past 6 years several dance sequences in Folk and classical have been choreographed and designed by Sushant for Sankhya’s Poland tour.
“Usha- Aniruddha” his latest successful venture is a stunning dance spectacle that has artistes from across the globe. It has successfully performed over 25 shows in India and Poland.
INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE TOURS
- 2016- Performance tour of USA of a thematic work in Kathak- Krishnapriya
- 2016- Has performed Kathak at the Min’on concerts in Japan
- 2009,2012-2014, 2015, 2016 Has performed Kathak and directed the mega show ‘Usha-Aniruddha” at the Festival Indii in Poland
- 2012- Has performed Kathak at the Min’on concerts in Japan
- 2012 June/July- has extensively toured over 50 days the length and breadth of USA with his own work “Namo Gurjari Namostute”.
- 2009-At the Indian Embassy in Berlin as performed Kathak.
- 2009- His role of Krishna in the musical “Sathwaro Shri Radhe Shyamno” brought him high popularity on his tour of USA.
- In 2007, travelling to over ten cities in Australia has performed in a lead role with the production “Dreamgirls of Bollywood”.
- In 2004 had travel to France, Kenya, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Canada with the major Folk Dance Production – as an assistant dance choreographer as well as a lead dancer.
- In 2003 had toured Republic of Croatia for 37th Medunarodna Smotra Folklore festival Zagreb.
- In 2001 had performed for 3rd International Folklorefestival Denetzare in Erfurt Germany.
- In 2001-02 had performed for Solaris Dance Theatre as accomplished folk dancer and toured France (Paris), and number of states in USA.
- 1999 -International Folk Festival Folklore Global in Austria and toured Tallian, and Ottawa Folk Dance Festival Canada.
- In 1998 had toured international folk Dance Festival Springville World Folkfest 1998 USA, Holland, Czech-Republic.
PERFORMANCES IN INDIA
- Performed Kathak with the renowned danseuse Parwati Dutta’s troupe and recently performed, apart from other places, at the prestigious Music Academy Festival 2012. Chennai.
- Has essayed the lead role of Krishna in over 250 performances of the highly popular stage musical “Sathwaro Shri Radhe Shyamno” in India and abroad.
- Has widely performed with Bombay Company’s Radhika’ including the prestigious Ellora Festival 2007.
- As a performer in Hema Malini’s dance troupe Natyavihar Kalakendra for 2-3 years has performed in major festivals all over India.
- As classical dancer with Lasya’s performance wing has performed in some of the prestigious classical festival from Mumbai Festival (2006), Kalaghoda Festival (2007), Yatra Dance Festival (2005-06-07) and Prithvi Festival (Platform performances)-2006.
- Also worked with well –known actress Jaya Prada in her production ‘Amrapali’which has been showcased in Agra Festival, Ellora Festival 2005 among many other performances in India.
- Has extensively performed with Sachin Shankar Ballet Unit Mumbai in year 2001-05. Has danced in all there productions like the highly acclaimed- “Gandhi” (it was invited to perform in ther honorable presence of Former President of India Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam), “Cricket”, “Statue”, :Besant Street” and others.
- Performed for the National Games- 1994, for the opening and closing ceremony at pune organized by Government of Maharashtra, under Smt. Mamata Shankar.
- Has Played the pivotal role of Rama in Sachin Shankar Ballet Unit’s Marathi dance production “Katha Hi Rama Janakichi”.
“A path taken to imbibe the richness of tradition has also become a path of self-discovery. Being a dancer makes you think, imagine, create, move and enchant all at the same time. It is no secret that art mirrors who you are. And each time I dance, I see a different part of me uncovered. I love this newness in dance. Bridging tradition with present times is a fun challenge, and we dancers time travel always! In a world hooked on to augmented realities, I believe classical dance augments a reality on stage for the audience each time”
“Dance is a way of expression of life away from the monotonous life that we are programmed to see. It is our Virtual world if I may say. Being a millennial and learning a very ancient art form, I constantly seek to stretch the boundaries of this tradition and reach out to Gen X. Always borrowing from our classical textbooks is critical at the same time. I believe it is my responsibility to be able to communicate to the world in a universal language but using the vocabulary of Bharatanatyam.”